BRAIN TWEETS

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, October 01, 2006

    The Proposition

    Just watched The Proposition last night. It's one of the best westerns I've seen in a while, with the exception of Deadwood of course, and what makes it doubly interesting is that the setting isn't the untamed west of the Americas, but the equally untaimed continent of Australia. The performances are pitch perfect and the story is brutal and honest. Written by one of my favorite song writers Nick Cave and directed by John Hillcoat, whom I've never seen work by, it is an affecting look at brotherhood in a more violent veign of Of Mice and Men. It is by turns both brutal and poetic, some might be turned off by the violence, but then again it is a tone poem to the very violence that underlines that period of Australian history. Definitly not for everyone., but perfect for me.

    No comments: