BRAIN TWEETS

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, March 04, 2007

    A is to B as...

    So, here’s something you might find interesting about the pilot I’m going to be working on starting tomorrow.

    The Pilot is being financed by Production Company A, which is Part of Production Company/Studio B, but B’s name is not supposed to be listed on anything. All items are to have Production company A’s name on them only. Now Production Company B is also a studio, and is for all intents and purposes overseeing the postproduction aspects of the pilot, but it would seem they were short on recourses so they rented studio/post services from Studio C. This includes stages and offices and probably equipment. Now all of this is being done to try and get Network D to pick the pilot up, at which point they would reimburse A and therefore B for their initial outlay to make the pilot. If Network D chooses to pass on the pilot then A and B will have to eat the cost. This is how it works. Now if D picks up the pilot, then they will basically pay for the episodes and make an order based on the number they want. It used to be a full season (22-23) but now as we all know, they can order just an initial 8 or a half season of 13 or simply order a starter number of scripts and make a few episodes to then test for ratings.

    Got all that? I'm not sure I do. The more I learn the more I'll adjust the above until I get it where it should be. Kind of makes me want to start a flow chart.

    I’m not sure how many non-reality based pilots are shooting right now during pilot season, but you can rest assured that it is over 100. Of course just because the pilot is good doesn’t mean it will be picked-up.


    A short list of drama pilots I came across on Wizbang Pop that is a but a tiny sampling of what is in the possibility pipeline for the 2007-08 season. You can find another list including comedies at TV.com. I don't think either of these is entirely complete, because the "other" section on the tv.com site seems to be missing a few channels I'm sure are making things.

    No comments: