BRAIN TWEETS

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, March 11, 2007

    The Riches

    I just finished watching the pilot for the new FX series THE RICHES. It's free for viewing online HERE. I wasn't sure about this one due to mixed opinions floating around discussing everything from Eddie Izzard's accent to the believability of the chemistry between him and Minnie Driver. I got sucked in. I really enjoyed it. Now, this could easily be because I've always been fascinated by Travelers and more specifically the concepts behind American Bedouins. Personally I think the chemistry between Izzard and Driver is perfect. I also think the actor's playing the kids are good as well. The plot is nothing new. It's just like BIG LOVE in a way. Take outsiders and move them into the "normal" suburbs of America and complicate their lives with their past and their ability to fit-in. Or the reversal in WEEDS where you take the already entrenched family and add an outside secret such as Mom becomes a drug dealer to support her family. It's a perfectly good metaphor not only for the changing landscape of America with regards to immigrant assimilation, but also to the diversity that has always existed within our borders. It also brings up the oft-used horror/intrigue trope of never really knowing who your neighbors are. While this isn't horror, it is in the very limited area of social angst. I'm going to do my best to keep up with this show and see if they can hold onto the quality of the pilot, and hope they resolve the obvious issues, which they do touch on, of figuring out a way to keep the Riches from being discovered. It's got to be one of the most interesting writing rooms around right now just from a logistical/realistic point of view. How long can a family with a completely stolen identity survive before being discovered? So, if you've got the time now or cable, check it out. I think you'll find it intriguing.

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    I agree. I agree. I agree. Loved it. Even the second episode, although I fell asleep in the last ten minutes. Looking forward to next week.
    Anne