BRAIN TWEETS

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, January 12, 2006

    Sex on page 63

    OK, so even though I haven't filled in all the bits before it, I thought you'd all like to know that there will be sex on page 63 or there abouts. It goes something like this:

    ANGRY SEX

    ROUGH SEX

    GENTLE SEX

    SLEEP

    It's a cathartic moment. I'll leave the specifics up to the director.
    ---------------------

    From Sullivan's Travels (1941) by Preston Sturges

    John L. Sullivan: I want this picture to be a... document. I want to hold a mirror up to life. I want this to be a picture of dignity... a true canvas of the suffering of humanity.

    LeBrand: But with a little sex in it.

    John L. Sullivan: [reluctantly] But with a little sex in it.
    ---------------------
    You all really should go rent Sullivan's Travels and watch it. It's one of the best scripts.
    ---------------------
    Burrows: Good morning, sir.

    Burrows: I don't like it at all, sir. Fancy dress, I take it?

    John L. Sullivan: What's the matter with it?

    Burrows: I have never been sympathetic to the caricaturing of the poor and nedy, sir.

    John L. Sullivan: Who's caricaturing?

    John L. Sullivan: I'm going out on the road to find out what it's like to be poor and needy and then I'm going to make a picture about it.

    Burrows: If you'll permit me to say so, sir, the subject is not an interesting one. The poor know all about poverty and only the morbid rich would find the topic glamorous.

    John L. Sullivan: But I'm doing it for the poor. Don't you understand?

    Burrows: I doubt if they would appreciate it, sir. They rather resent the invasion of their privacy, I believe quite properly, sir. Also, such excursions can be extremely dangerous, sir. I worked for a gentleman once who likewise, with two friends, accoutered themselves as you have, sir, and then went out for a lark. They have not been heard from since.
    ---------------------
    Burrows: You see, sir, rich people and theorists - who are usually rich people - think of poverty in the negative, as the lack of riches - as disease might be called the lack of health. But it isn't, sir. Poverty is not the lack of anything, but a positive plague, virulent in itself, contagious as cholera, with filth, criminality, vice and despair as only a few of its symptoms. It is to be stayed away from, even for purposes of study. It is to be shunned.

    No comments: