BRAIN TWEETS

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, March 26, 2006

    First Leg


    The first leg of the journey has been completed. 595 Miles. 450 miles per 3/4 tank. All accomplished in about 10 hours. I spent 8:00 – 9:00 AM having breakfast with Friends, who gave me a very nice “road bag” to take with me. I didn’t look in it until I got to the hotel and now think that it was much too much, but it is very much too late for that. Staying currently at the Russellville, AR Holliday Inn Express. What is most important to know is that I found this hotel on the Internet because it was not only the right price, but had free wireless internet access as well. Once I arrive, I also found out that it is the only hotel/place that can serve alcohol in the area, being that Pope County is a dry county. I went to the Ruby Tuesday and The Carlton Steakhouse, neither of which had a bar and came to a startling conclusion. I then went back to the hotel and entered the Dardenelle Club and lounge. I discovered the nature of the liquor license history from the bartender. I also spent most of the evening talking to the local "Cliff Claven", as well as a small petite cowboy from Northern Louisiana who talked to Cliff around me, calling him "amigo" the whole time. I also talked to a fireman and a well-versed Republican truck driver who was the most open minded of the bunch. The thing about the liquor license is that they were awarded to only three places in the county thirty years ago. No one else to this date has one. It would seem that most of Northern Arkansas is Dry. What are the odds? So if you’re in the area, I suggest you drink here, or bring your own, from another state.

    I called my parents when I got here, but the reaction from the other side felt as though they had just returned from my funeral and received a call from my ghost. I’m not sure exactly what I did, but I’ve caused more pain to them somehow than I ever wished. I was a bit detached this morning when they saw me off, and now feel bad about it. I need it however, because otherwise I would have never made it here. If I hadn’t suppressed my feelings, I never would have been able to leave today.

    Tomorrow, I will be traveling against the rain. Hoping to make Amarillo.

    Currently I’m watching HBO’s new serried “Big Love”, which I feel a bit apathetic about. There is something about it that is not engaging, bit I don’t know yet what is is. It may be Bill Paxton, but I’m not yet sure.

    Oh yeah, and then there was this in the room.

    No comments: