BRAIN TWEETS

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, March 04, 2006

    Free Toilet Paper

    I arrived finally in NY an hour late due to sheer winds at LaGuardia, which kept us from taking off for an hour at O’Hare. My cab driver was one Mr. Hassan Riazul, who after receiving the instructions, “Prospect Park, Brooklyn, between Dean and Bergin, ### Carlton Ave.”, turned to me and said, “Do you know where that is?” I informed Mr. Riazul that unfortunately I had never been to that portion of Brooklyn, but was kind of hoping that he had seeing as how he was a cab driver and all. He then asked me if there was someone I could call, and I said that there was. He then had me give him the number and he himself called my friend Steve for directions. This was fortunate in a sense do to the fact that my phone had recently died.

    Safely ensconced in my friend’s apartment finally, I checked in with Mom so that she could go to bed and actually sleep, her son roaming unattended about the big city. I then received the, and I’m sure used to this as well, call from the bar where I drink to make sure I had arrived safely. It was Bob, who’d cut my hair the day before and was most likely concerned about whether his work had made it here in one piece. I joke, it’s nice to have people who care enough call, especially if they’re drinking in a bar.

    After introductions, we headed off to their local watering hole called SODA, where I drank 3 or 4 wonderful Brooklyn Lagers and had a hamburger, which was also surprisingly good. Of course I did most of the talking and they listened intently. In a very short period of time I have become quite fond of Steve’s new fiancé and hope them all the best. The main point in my endearment came at the end of the evening when she stuffed a roll of toilet paper into her purse, while in the bar bathroom, so that we might all have something clean with which to wipe ourselves in the morning.

    The apartment itself is a cozy basement affair, which gives it two large windows at street level, which I have discovered as of this morning act like tympanic membranes, bringing the city fully into the room in which I am staying. I woke up more than once early in the morning thinking someone was talking to me. I also woke once afraid a truck was backing over me and then again later when I was almost positive that birds had somehow made it in.

    For breakfast this morning, I finally had a good bagel with real Lox cream cheese. Off to Williamsburg this evening to see friends.

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    PLEASE BE CAREFUL IN NEW YORK. It is a big, scary place. Keep your valuables on you at ALL TIMES. NEW YORK IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS PLACE FULL OF LAYABOUTS AND NE'ER DO WELLS.

    Say hi to Steve for me.