BRAIN TWEETS

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, April 26, 2006

    J squared Sushi

    I had amazingly good sushi last night at a place I cannot name since the people who took me there consider it a personal find and it’s already gaining too much notoriety as it is. Not that anyone in L.A. reads my retched brain gas anyway, but just in case. Surprisingly snuggled on the second floor of an innocuous strip mall, this place was pure gold. The key was not only in the astounding freshness of the ingredients, but the peculiar, but ultimately welcoming, addition of warm rice beneath the sushi. I know, who’d a thought? I tried a number of standards for the sushi test and one new one. The new one was Monkfish liver. I have to admit that though the texture, think really light mousse, was extremely inviting, I’m afraid the taste, though nicely “fishy” was simply too rich for a piece of its size and even more so for two. I am however completely happy to have tried it, even if I do not do so again.

    The friend I met, we shall call her J, was an old friend from film school. I also got to finally meet here somewhat new husband, he too shall be known as J, for the first time since I had been unable to attend the reception they had thrown in NY a few years back. It was completely wonderful to hang out with J again. The added bonus of hanging out with the two of them, now to be referred to as JJ, made the evening completely comfortable and relaxing. As usual, due to my excitement, I’m more than sure that I monopolized the conversation. J’s husband J, as well as J herself, is an accomplished writer who’s currently executing a draft of a property close to my heart. Reading what the original author of the books has to say, it would seem that he is pleased with the work as well. The meal ending with them graciously picking up the tab, which is always a humbling experince. So, thanks to them for that. So, e-mails today to J to possibly get some work passed about before she whips away to a foreign land for a vacation.

    The best part of seeing people I know here, is that it seems to occur about one to two weeks apart and completely, if only temporarily, revitalizes me. It’s sort of a nice social main line to bring back the buzz and mellow the fall.

    No comments: