BRAIN TWEETS

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, May 19, 2006

    Finished

    I finished the 11 sites yesterday. Today I'm catching up on e-mails and things and may go see THE DAVINCI CODE if I feel like walking an hour.
    [note: then again, probably not since it has a 17% on rottentomatoes.com
    "The most controversial thriller of the year turns out to be about as exciting as watching your parents play Sudoku." - Ann Hornaday, WASHINGTON POST]

    Something rather unsettling happened last evening when I found out that one of the bartenders who works at the bar I frequent lost his wife, age 29, to a heart attack while he was at work. He's left with a 2 yr old and a 2 mo old. He was extremely kind to me when I first moved here. He was originally from the Nashville area and made me feel at home here 3000 miles away from TN. Needless to say the atmosphere last evening was somber at best. I had seen him Wednesday night, the night she passed, while coming back in for one more drink and to order a sandwich. We'd talked about how he'd just come back from a two-day roundtrip journey to Nashville to play in a fundraising golf tournament that was connected to his father who'd died years earlier. He was sick and said his wife and girls were sick too. He had jet lag and didn't really want to be working. Even through all of this he was polite as always. I can't even imagine what guilt he will hold or for how long, probably thinking that if he'd been at home, he could have done something. I don't know that he feels this, but I know that I would and so would most people. His name is Charlie, but I do not know his last name. I find myself maudlin at the moment and unsure why I felt so deeply sad for someone I barely know. I guess it comes with having adopted the bar as my home-away-from-home, and having been adopted by it and those who frequent it.

    Not really much else going on, just waiting to find out when the next job starts and hoping it does so before the next round of bills.

    Be good to your friends. Be good to your bartenders. Be good.

    1 comment:

    tnbonairediver said...

    Now its up to 18%, but who knows it is hard to make a great movie when the book is still so popular.