BRAIN TWEETS

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, May 05, 2006

    Tired of the smell

    I'm getting worn down by the smell of the library in Venice. I have no problem with the homeless using the library, I actually find it gratifying to see them spending their day reading or catching up on news, or using the computers. However, there is an olfactory disconnect that's driving em mad. Everyday my nostrils begin to fill with a melody of bodily odors that move like wind through the stacks. There is one individual in particular that's taken to spending all day in one rack, which just happens to be directly behind where I sit. His skin is dark and splotched with black soot, as though he sleeps in an abandoned fireplace. I know when he's behind me and when he moves away by the quality of the air. Recently the stall door on in the bathroom was bent out and would no longer close. So, they removed it. This allowed me the unnecessary sight of a world worn individual having a sit. I now look down as I enter the bathroom. I'd rather see a dirty tile floor. It’s odd that people complain about smoking, but not so much about BO. I guess more guilt comes into play when you’re complaining about someone who doesn’t have the facilities or wherewithal to care for themselves. Either way, I can just imagine the pages of the books soaking up the odor for years to come. The children of the future will think that all library books smell like unemployment. Then again so do I at the moment.

    No comments: