BRAIN TWEETS

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, May 28, 2006

    The Ponies

    So, I went to my first race track yesterday and lost $26.00. The nice thing was that it wasn't my money. WMA, one of the two fine Irishmen invited me and paid me a comfortable sum to drive him there and back. He even paid my $10.00 entry fee. I learned the intricacies of computer ticket betting and the valuable lesson that once the money goes in and the ponies run, you do not usually get any of your money back. I did win one race at 7:1, so I got $14.40 back on that one. I placed all $2 bets so as to spread my generous gifts out across 8 races. When I decided to hedge my bets and keep one of the $20.00 payments for courier services, WMA threw another $20.00 voucher my way to continue my foolishness. He had greater success than I did, but then again he's been losing at this much longer than I. The majority of my bets were for wins with 2-3 horses per race, with a spread of odds. This, my first "technique" proved a bit unsuccessful. I did place a few Win/Place efforts, but alas these also came up a bit short. Luckliy I did not find myself cathing "The Fever", so I doubt seriously I'll go again unless a similar offer is placed before me. On the way home we stopped off and picked up his laundry which made me feel like I was at least doing something for the money.

    Tonight I'm going to try and go see the gallery show of John Kricfalusi and the Spumco Studio folks at Every Picture Tells a Story. After there is a two hour screening of uncut and banned Spumco cartoons at The Aero Theatre for only $9.00, which seems like probably the best $9.00 I shall have spent while here. I'll take my camera and see if I can't get a fan boy picture with at least someone, even if they aren't related to the artists.

    Hope everyone is having a fun relaxing Memorial Day Weekend.

    No comments: