BRAIN TWEETS

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, August 02, 2006

    Finally Comics

    So, I finally got to a comic shop today. It's the well known Meltdown Comics in LA on Sunset Blvd. I'd tried to walk to a different one yesterday, but it must have gone out of business since the address never materialized in the form of a comic shop. I picked up a hefty load in an effort to catch-up on some things. I picked up singles of WORMWOOD GENTLEMAN CORPSE by Ben Templesmith, who also does the art on the Warren Ellis book FELL of which I picked up issues 4 and 5. I also grabbed issue 6 of SHAOLIN COWBOY by Geofrey Darrow although I'm pretty sure I missed out on issue 5. Also in the mix were the first two issue of Neil Gaiman's ETERNALS story for Marvel and issue 4 of LOCAL by Brian Wood whose DMZ I mentioned a while back. Along the way I grabbed a few Graphic novels/collections as follows:



    I also finally joined a Hollywood Video that's within walking distance and am trying to catch-up on movies as well. Last night and this morning I watched NIGHT WATCH, THE SQUID AND THE WHALE and TRISTRAM SHANDY: A COCK & BULL STORY. I highly recommend the later two. Unfortunately I was a bit disappointed in NIGHT WATCH. The first problem is that it was dubbed into English and then the second was that it was just a set-up for the two later films in the trilogy. The story itself is a bit muddled and it's hard to tell from the performances, both the actors and the voice actors, exactly what the real tone of the whole thing was supposed to be. I kept feeling like the voice actors were told to play it up more comically than it had been, turning possible black humor into Jerry Lewis farce. I'll still check out the rest of the trilogy when they come out, but I won't be in any rush.

    Oh well, of to spend the second day of my break catching up, then I'll start working on writing some things tomorrow. Still have all of my laundry to do as well.

    No comments: